Wednesday, September 27, 2017

HF Novel Update 9/27/17 (Day 11)

Another huge day.

My good friend and fellow author Nate Green has a saying, "Writing is inertial."

Truer words were never spoken.

Today I wrote over 14k words! That's ridiculous but it didn't feel unusual to me while it was happening. It just flowed.

Here's why I think this happened. I've moved into the final third-ish of the book. The end of the dreaded 2nd act is close. Everything is coming together, and at this point I understand the characters much better than I did at the beginning of the story. I know what they're going to say and how they're going to react to situations without having to think about it too too much.

At the same time, I got to introduce two new characters who are a lot of fun to write and who added fresh conflicts to the story. So at this point, I can see the ending, I know how I'm going to get there, and all the characters in the story are on a collision course that will culminate in the climax. I feel like I've crested the hill of this story and now am running downhill as fast as I can, almost out of control. At this point I can't write quickly enough and, as long as I stay out of my own way, this first draft will be done very soon.

To my buddy Nate's point, WRITING IS INERTIAL.

The more you do it, the more you do it. The less you do it, the less you do it.

Now, that's an oversimplification of course. I don't know if I could maintain this pace for an extended period of time, though if you believe the stories this is what many pulp writers did in the early to mid 20th century. And I happen to know that many indie authors (who tend to be the more successful ones) do this as well. So it's been done before and it's still being done now.

Here are the numbers:

Drafting: 9 hours (three big chunks of writing time)
Daily Word Count: 14,029
Total Word Count: 70,036


5 comments:

  1. The example of nursing personal statement example is not enough to get job. People think it’s very easy but I have faced lots of problem when I want to submit my letter. Then I take professional help and now joining in this prospect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have seen my friends to write personal statement for Podiatry school. I will definitely let him know about this service and may be it will be great help for him and get his desire objectives. visit this link here is the also great source for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The thesis editing service that i am looking for many days. I am so much busy with these thesis paper. Finally these content makes me ease to get my work done. I have intended to get these service. http://www.statementofpurposewriting.org/statement-of-purpose-editing-service/ here are more informative information that gives lots of idea about this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great site to the understudies, The grin of the correct ladies is so amazing and draws in the comprehensive network towards this image. They read more have both think about the supposition of the dressing. I like this image.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post to the training cast a ballot, Christmas is the best occasion ceaselessly and the reason is that explore the details all sort of the general open bestows their estimations in this day. I don't discover what to express all the moreover as for this occasion yet this is significantly so radiant occasion. It is an incredible article.

    ReplyDelete