Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Emergence

Every time I have a conversation with Eddie McCloskey, I learn something. This despite the fact that he barely made it out of high school. Eddie is a voracious reader, interested in just about everything, and when he's not ghost hunting he's got his nose in a book.

One of his favorite concepts is emergence. To me, it's the scientific label for the idea that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. He came across this principle in dangerous action during his wandering daughter job in Oregon, which I'm chronicling in The Hysteria. I'd like to tell you all about the story but I don't want to give too much away at this point.

Except to say it's Eddie's most personal--and most violent--case to date. I hope to have it published before the end of the year.

To learn more about emergence, check out this this great podcast by Radiolab.

No comments:

Post a Comment