Wednesday, October 22, 2014

My WTF Writer's Moment

Once upon a time, someone stole my lunch out of the office refrigerator. Whether they ate it or not, I have no idea. It was such an absurd experience (who would steal someone's lunch?), I thought it the perfect anecdote to capture the essence of office life. So being a writer, I naturally cashed that experience in to use as a premise and then drew from my time in Corporate America to populate the rest of the story. Just to make things a little more interesting, I wrote the story in the second person.

The end result? Morale Was Down.

This 11,000 word short story will normally be priced at $0.99 on Amazon. However, I am offering it for free on 10/23 and 10/24.

Fair warning if you've read my paranormal thriller series, The Unearthed: this short story is quite a departure from those books. Morale Was Down is meant to be a little tongue-in-cheek, a tribute to the bumbling detective story, and a comedic reflection on the daily grind.

And yet, most of the events in this story actually occurred in real life. So while it may seem silly at times, it has a very solid basis in reality. For example, I've known no less than three dudes that talk on their cell phones while they're in the men's room doing their business.

At 11,000 words, this is a quick read that every Corporate American can appreciate. If you give it a try, please leave me an honest review and if so inclined feel free to share your own crazy office stories. The old saying is spot-on, truth is stranger than fiction.

No comments:

Post a Comment