Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Facebook Author Page

Look what I went and did.

On my best days, I'm skeptical of the utility of social media for authors. When I'm in a good mood I can see that it probably helps, it connects readers with authors on a more personal, accessible level.

On my worst days, I think social media is a complete time-suck that leaves authors no time to attend to the MOST IMPORTANT MARKETNG we can do:

Write the next damned book.

Few writers can point to their efforts on social media and say: "For every Xth post, you will see an incremental opportunity of Y additional sales." Don't get me wrong, many indie authors have achieved unbelievable success by maintaining interesting blogs and by engaging their readership through Facebook and Twitter and Whatever The New Thing Is This Week, but these tools are only boosters. They can't prop up a "bad" book. And, like I said, it's impossible to quantify the impact of a social media presence on sales.

Im-poss-ible.

Up until now I've just been dipping my toes in occasionally. Now I'm going to wade in up to my knees. I don't want to go any further for fear of the dreaded blue balls.

How's that for extending a metaphor?

So I created a Facebook Author Page. If you like my books, please like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment