Saturday, October 7, 2017

HF Novel Update 10/6/17 (Day 20)

Editing Time: 6 hours
Total Word Count: 111,414

Yesterday was a productive editing day. The total word count keeps going up, which I did not expect, but I'm finding out that I don't have to cut as much story as I thought and the tweaks I wanted to make required more story. My best guess now is that I'll have a second draft that comes in around 115k.

At that point the story will be "right" and I'll start polishing. With a manuscript that long, I'm sure I can chop out 10k. Maybe even 15k. What I've found over the years is I tend to overwrite, sometimes by a wide margin. Figuring out how to reduce a six sentence paragraph into four sentences or shortening a 25 word sentence into a 15 word sentence almost always improves my story. Or just remembering that Character A's motivation was already made clear in the last chapter, and I don't need to take a paragraph to remind readers here.

That's just how I work. One day I hope I can write more cleanly, but isn't that every writer's dream?

***

10/7/17 marks Day 21 of the challenge. My original goal was to be done today, but that's not going to happen. I still have story to add and then I'll be at the point where I'm analyzing every word and trying to tighten the prose up. After a while (or pretty quickly, depending on how cynical I'm feeling) the law of diminishing returns rears its ugly head. I could spend weeks, if not months, tinkering with a story but I wouldn't significantly improve it in ways that readers are going to notice.

So gazing into my crystal ball, I think it will take me another week to truly finish the book. That means I should be ready to publish by 10/14/17, or Day 28, of the challenge.

I love failing when it means I've written in a book, especially one this long, in a lunar cycle.

***

In other news, I am wrestling with the idea of publishing this book under my real name. I don't want to start another pen name (because it's a pain in the arse) and readers have come to expect a certain type of book from Evan Ronan. I'm not sure my thriller / mystery readers will be interested in sword and sorcery for the most part, so from a branding and marketing perspective it might make sense to have a clear separation.

Not sure yet.

Working title: The Bastard's Refuge


5 comments:

  1. The Ronan writing place is waiting for you. You can find the true zone in this link with the happiness. Get the free book from this section of the Novel update. You can click here and can find the true zone of the help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Link of the Ronan writing can give you the better state of function with the nice free book. A new webpage has the real choice for the people present here. Enjoy the new story with the best model of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Ronan site is waiting for the new novel here and you can get the new editing day with the nice field. You can find this website more helpful for your best working patterns. Get the new choice with the better link.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I by and large help the understudies who don't disappoint to educators and to watchmen with their best educational limits. Those understudies are most this site crucial for the enhancement of the world and unmistakably, these sorts of understudies are the certified particular points of interest in world.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I acknowledge to those elderly people who don't leave buckling down till their final gasp. They are read this page best individuals who don't simply consider themselves yet additionally consider other individuals' joy.

    ReplyDelete