Monday, October 23, 2017

Greg Owen #3 - The Prodigal Girl

This morning I begin work on the third mystery in the Greg Owen series, this one’s called The Prodigal Girl.

I’m keeping all plot details to myself, because I consider just about everything that happens in the book to be a spoiler.

The Greg Owen novels tend to run 60K and this one will be no different. I’ve got a high-level outline prepared and am feeling good about the story and character arcs.

I think I can write the first draft in 7 days.

Now that goal comes with a caveat. I have jury duty on Thursday. Because of my legal background, one or both attorneys on the case will want me nowhere near the jury box, so it's unlikely I'll get selected. But still, I will probably spend a chunk of the day Thursday at the courthouse, during the time I would otherwise be working. In the unlikely event I am selected for jury duty, then my goal of writing this book in 7 days goes completely out the window.

Either way, I’m off to the races again. It took me 3 weeks to write (not edit) a fantasy novel, so you might be wondering why I think I can write a Greg Owen book in 1 week. Here are some reasons why it’s do-able:
  1. I don’t have to create a whole new universe. Greg Owen’s stories take place in a world that’s exactly like ours. No magic, no strange creatures, no people/clans/lands/religions, nothing like that I have to give serious thought to and invent myself. He owns a pool hall, has a daughter, and is trying to make a living in a real-world setting. All things I can relate to.
  2. This book will be half as long as The Bastard’s Refuge (TBR).
  3. I’ve written a ton of mysteries already, so I understand the formula on a more intuitive level. TBR was my first heroic fantasy novel.
  4. I know who Greg is. I know who the supporting characters are. With TBR, I had a general sense of the characters before I sat down to write but the first draft was as much about discovering who they were and what they would do as it was telling the story.
  5. The Prodigal Girl is already up for pre-order! Now if that’s not reason enough …



Time to get cracking.

6 comments:

  1. I figure, government should give the advances to the poor understudies to proceed with go to this website arrangement and to satisfy the costs of direction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Prodigal girl is my favorite series.There isn't the fortune just on the earth yet in like manner in the seas of visit page the world. We can motivate those fortunes after research to locate the reasonable approaches to manage reach there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can find the free novels here for the fun and can get the new books for the better session. You can also look at this site and can find the free book session with the better effort. You can also share your email here for work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We must appreciate people who believe in writing techniques. This site https://www.paraphrasingonline.com/paraphrasing-in-research-paper/ can provide us best options to read about such things. This is what many services focus on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This book can give us more goal to understand about writing perfectly. This is also an opportunity and this site https://www.rephraser.net/instant-paraphrasing-tool is all about providing best research tools.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dubai is the place where you can on site https://melos.com.ar/273943-2/find all type of comfortable and it is the place where every businessman can do their business. The reason is that lots of people come to visit the Dubai as a tourist. So, this place is perfect for the business.

    ReplyDelete