Thursday, October 5, 2017

HF Novel Update 10/4 and 10/5 (Days 18 and 19)

Editing Time: 10 hours
Total Word Count: 107,037

10/4 Update -

Yesterday I only edited for a couple hours. What I realized, going into the editing phase, is that I don't have a specific plan. I know there are about 11 big ticket items that need to be fixed from a story perspective, but rather than attack them one by one, which would require jumping all over the place to different parts of the manuscript, I just started reading the book from the beginning. Got about 50 pages through, fixing typos and the big picture stuff as I came across it. It was slow-going. Real slow. I realized that my brain needed a break from the story. So I switched gears and went back to tinkering with a psy thriller I've decided to fix and publish.

10/5 Update -

Already got 5 hours of work in as I'm writing this and plan to do another 3 hours after the kiddies go to bed. It was a wise decision to take a break yesterday from this story. (Sometimes I get it right!) I was really fresh today and the editing hummed along. I've gotten to about the halfway mark of the story. The prose still needs tightening up in many places, but I'm saving that for my next pass. The big picture stuff (oh yeah, the characters decided to do THIS instead of THAT) is more important than the prose in this stage of the process. And, arguably, in every stage of the process.

***

Editing is a strange thing. I both love and hate it. When I'm thinking about it and not actually doing it, editing seems incredibly daunting. The internal monologue goes like this: Oh, right, I have to fix that. And then that. Oh crap, there's also that other thing in Chapter 5. And this. And that. And I should really go back and add this. AND CUT THAT OVER THERE! And I just got another idea! The last line of the book should be "X, Y, and Z." And this over here ...

When I'm not actually editing and only thinking about all the things I have to do, my mind is focused on what's wrong with the story, instead of what's right. It also feels like I have to fix a million things and it's going to take forever. The To Do List continues to grow in my mind till it feels like the book will never be finished, or finished satisfactorily. It skews my perspective and so it should come as no surprise that I get incredibly down on the book.

But then I stop thinking about editing and start actually doing it. And suddenly my perspective changes like somebody flipped a switch inside my brain.

This morning before I started, I thought, "This book needs so much work! I have to change almost everything!"

But then after I got to work, I thought, "The beginning is actually pretty good. So is the transition to the 2nd act. And the fixes have been relatively easy, most of them quick and painless."

Sometimes I think the hardest part of being a writer is just figuring out when to listen to your internal voice and when not to.

5 comments:

  1. Not all sources are good for article rewriting. After views, these content maybe it would play vital service and may be I will order service as my requirements. Here is see this to get vital and effective details.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The free sample resume title is not enough to show it’s strong until going for professional help. I have seen my friends resume title that is not good. As per time and demand change it should be changed and uniform. From here I am supposed to give my friends valid help. To get more helpful resources try this site

    ReplyDelete
  3. Most of the faculty members is said to use MLA format to students. My friends come to my house to get the idea about this. I haven't also known to this. After seeing this, I will let him about this process and format. http://www.paraphraseexample.org/become-paraphrase-expert-by-learning-from-these-paraphrasing-exercises/ views this link to gather resources that you are really looking for.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Without talking about every thing with the class instructor, an understudy can't get great and required outcomes in month to month and in annuals tests. Educator click this over here no can direct his/her understudy in more pretty route than anyone since instructor knows all frail and solid purposes of his/her students.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a decent post, This sound is so spellbinding and gives the phenomenal data about the standard of the life. Clearly this https://www.paraphrasingservice.com/faqs-about-paraphrasing-sentences-you-order-from-us/ that you give in this sound shape is so outstanding and I never listen this sort of the data in advance.

    ReplyDelete